Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Mrs. Corbett, I have a question.

Aahh, such curious little souls I work with. I hear this sentence numerous times each day, and most times, I follow it with the question, "Does it apply to math?". I'd say about 50% of the time it does not, in which case, I address it later with that student individually. When I followed up with one very curious student today the question posed was, "Why do you have the breasts pumpers behind your desk?". It took a lot of self control to not laugh hysterically. Apparently, this student had not realized that the several baby pictures around the room was my daughter. Once I explained that I have a little baby at home, she seemed to figure out the answer to her own question.

When I decided to continue nursing and pump at school, I wondered how I would feel about people knowing what I was doing when the "Please Do Not Disturb" sign was hanging in my window. Turns out, I'm pretty indifferent about it. On the other hand, all the moms and dads (yes, dads too) find it as the hottest topic to bring up with me. I have heard more breastfeeding success stories and mortifying moments in the last few weeks than in the 6 months that I have been doing it. It's funny that the most natural relationship between a mom and child causes so much conversation!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

oh my. that is pretty dicey. i was always surprised none of my students ever asked what i was carrying to lunch each day. your kids must feel much more safe with you. ha!

Brie said...

That is hysterical. I love it!